Sunday, 5 January 2014

Outfit of the Night: Tartan Dress

So, it came to the time again where I asked my rather reluctant boyfriend to take some pictures of me. Since my last OOFD had such a good response I thought I'd try it again, although I'm thinking the other half won't be too happy if it keeps happening.

This outfit was actually the one I wore for Christmas Day but I didn't want to ask my family to do the awkward photoshoot. As I busted out the outfit again today I though I'd let my boyfriend draw the "lucky straw" and be camera man again. To me I'm letting him learn new skills, to him it's just a bloody chore.


Any road, lets get onto the outfit. I'm not normally one for a dress or skirt (ignoring the fact the last two outfit posts have featured one or the other!!!) I usually throw on a pair of jeans and dress them down with a T and some converse or dress them up with a blouse or knit and some boots. However, when I was out shopping with my mum last week back in good old Sheffield, I saw this and just had to own it. 

Again, like most of the things I have been purchasing recently, it is tartan. As I said in my New Year's Eve outfit post, I am a little behind on the tartan bandwagon but it's popping up in shops and catwalks still so I think I can get away with it! 


This Ark tartan dress is more of a traditional print when compared to my last outfit, which I have really fallen in love with. I love the clashing of the deep red and dark navy colours and the thin lines of white help to make the tartan squares pop.

This is a skater dress which, in my opinion, flatters any figure. The fact the elastic in the dress hugs inbetween your bust and waist line means the skirt section of the dress falls nicely, just skimming the stomach. I do however, find the length of the dress is just a little too short for me (being 5ft 10/11) but, if I don't bend down at all, I can manage to my dignity intact. If I do bend over though...hello granny pants!!!


I kept the jewellery simple with just my watch (and the hair bobbles I have round my wrist at all time!) The shoe of choice went to my fairly new chealsea boots. These are a lovely deep purple colour, which isn't something I'd normally go for but I've decided to be more adventurous with my style recently. I think they keep this look nice and relaxed so if you wanted to dress it up maybe you could bust out the odd heel. 

I kept my make up simple again as I'm not one for having too much of a bold look, however do love to add a pop of colour with the lips. I went for my go to lipstick shade of the moment, a deep red. This exact one is Rinmel's Kate Moss Matte effect in 107 (for swatches see here). I also went a bit different with my hair and tried to rock a centre parting which I've never done before. If you follow me on twitter and Instagram you'll have seen I'm not sure on it (and my boyfriend certainly isn't). It did get a good reception on those, but any more opinions would be greatly appreciated. Should I keep it or go back to a side parting?!?

What did you guys wear on Christmas Day? How would you style this dress? Again, answers on a postcard please.  

Thanks for reading,
Hannah xxx
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I love tartan on other peeps but not on me.....fab dress. x

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress! x

    http:/lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress!!!!Super!Very beautiful!) Would you like to follow each other? Just let me know in my blog. xoxo
    http://www.elationofcreation.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow such a lovely post! great job x

    I have an ongoing giveaway on my blog, please join! :) xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning dress! And a beautifully written post :)
    danielascribbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgous dress!

    www.beautymay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bogie thief, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you look wonderful with your hair like that! Middle partings are so sophisticated, ya know? And datum girl, you are looking mighty fine in that tartan dress (I've had far too much coffee today) Love this look!

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rocking the middle parting beautifully I see! I wouldn't be brave enough to wear tartan myself but you really do pull it of beautifully! One gorgeous girl!

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete

© A Day In The Life Of A Northern Girl. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig